After, over four decades, of involvement, in, nearly, all aspects, of leading, from identifying and qualifying, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, as well as, serving as a leader, and being, intimately, involved, in the budget – making, and financial aspects, of various groups, and organizations, I strongly believe, it is important for organizations, to take advantage of zero – based budgets, thoroughly, etc, if they wish to get, the most bang – for – their – buck, and effectively plan, and expend, their funds, in the most relevant, sustainable way! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 reasons, unfortunately, so few individuals, in positions of leadership, take advantage of, and consistently, use, zero – based budgets.
1. Takes more effort: Unfortunately, most individuals, emphasize going through, the motions, rather than expending more energy, etc, than is convenient, and perceived as, being easy/ simple! Groups benefits, when their leaders, are ready, willing, and able, to use this extra amount of effort, and attention, in order to achieve, the best course of action, to proceed with!
2. They don’t take the budget process, seriously: Instead of, respecting the need, for carefully, considering, and preparing a budget, far – too many, seem to minimize it! A properly formed, and created document, should assist the organization, in allocating its funds, to achieve optimum results! Too often, we witness, groups, which, merely, continue, basing it, on previous budgets, and, therefore, fail to remain relevant, and/ or, sustainable!
3. Bang – for – the – buck: Wouldn’t it, be better, if/ when, organizations minimized waste, and sought, better ways to proceed? To do so, requires, considering, every line – item, of a budget, and asking, if it is needed, and, if so, how should this need, be addressed. Some things will remain the same, because, it makes no sense, to reinvent – the – wheel, simply, to make changes, for, change – sake! On the other hand, a careful review, may indicate, either, too much, or too little is being spent, and, perhaps, not in the best way/ area!
4. Can’t/ won’t think – outside – the – box: Instead of proceeding, in the same – old, same – old, way, it is wise, to have leaders, who are ready, willing, and able, to effectively, think – outside – the – box, with quality, imagination! Too often, those serving, in certain positions, are, either, unwilling, and/ or, not ready, to do so!
5. Lack empathy/ My way or the highway: Many pseudo – leaders, seem to lack the degree of genuine empathy, to consider, alternatives, which may, make sense! The attitude, of, My way or the highway, or fear, of, making waves, often, interferes, with the necessary, quality leadership.
Unless/ until, one is willing to commit to the discipline, and effort, required, to take advantage of zero – based, budgeting, he weakens the opportunity, to make changes, for the better! Are you up to the tasks?
Subscribe to our Newsletter
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe!